Sunday, February 3, 2008

Jazz is Love

This weekend has been blissfully restful. Friday was a sleep in day, Saturday was completely free, and today we had minimal events.

The weather was beautiful yesterday so we took a long walk down to the MCC Thrift Store and I picked up a couple Spanish books so that I could start working language skills. The other treasure that I found was Scattergories… it had all of the pieces and I got it for a dollar!

Tonight has been one of my favorite evenings in quite a while. We basically had live jazz in our living room. Steve Klassen, who runs the Mark Centre, plays in a marvelous jazz band called the Mennonite Jazz Committee. It was wonderful to turn the great room into a coffee shop atmosphere, drinking chai, eating hazelnut cake, and hearing live jazz. There is nothing quite like a candle lit room, live music, a warm drink and being surrounded by friends. When the band took a break I spent quite a while talking with the bassist about how he began playing, about his double bass, and playing in a community orchestra. He told me that he had been playing the bass for over thirty year… I hope I still want to be playing my viola in thirty years. It was also just wonderful to have other people around. It was a bit like having guests in our home. We decorated, set out desserts and even rearranged the furniture. Tonight was a beautiful way to end the weekend and start a new week.

People are blessings, music is a blessing, jazz is love.

Mennonite Jazz Committee's Myspace

2 comments:

Jaclyn Marina said...

You have a blog!
I'm so happy!
I'll be prayin for you in Peru, I'm very excited for you!
Can't wait till we get back in the States and can swap stories.
Much love, LauRA Adams.
Jackie

Anonymous said...

jazz IS love, isn't it? i checked out their myspace and it looks like a lot of fun. : )

yay for scattergories! i played that a few weeks ago and was reminded how much i really, really love words.

evangelism is pretty much your best friend by now, am i right?