Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Morning of Decisions

I feel like I hardly slept at all last night. I tossed and turned and had wild dreams about being sent to crazy locations. This morning was the morning. Everyone was a little on edge and it’s safe to say that all of us had blood pressure that was a bit higher than normal. We didn’t know how John was going to do it, but one way or another we were going to find out our teams.

We filed into the Great Room at a few minutes before nine and just sat down on the couch waiting to hear what the verdict was. Peru? Japan? As far as any of us were concerned it was a 50% chance either way. John joked about not telling us teams until tomorrow, we all threaten him, the he flips a page on a large pad of paper and there it was… the list we had been waiting for.

I’m going to PeruLima, Peru! I’m incredibly excited because I know that this decision was not mine to make but God’s hand was in the middle of the process. To be entirely honest, I was trying to prepare myself for Japan. For some reason I thought that I wasn’t going to get one of the spots on the team and that I had to come to peace with going somewhere else. It’s wonderful to see how God both calls and answers.

I’m really excited about my whole team. They are all marvelous people and all seeking after God. None of us have great Spanish skills but hopefully God will provide. Once we get there, part of our weekly routine will be studying with a Spanish tutor. We’re also hoping that we will be placed with host families so that our language skills will improve faster and we will get a better taste of Peruvian culture. We’re going to be teaching ESL, helping with youth and children’s ministry, helping with Sunday morning services, and serving at a home for women and children who are affected by HIV.

This was really a moment for me to feel affirmed in hearing God speak through other people in sometimes really unexpected ways. It’s so easy to justify things according to our own desires and not take into account how God is truly moving. It seemed that every time I would go into Galen’s office he would tell me how much I would love Lima and talking with Mike and having him call out my desire to go to Peru before I mentioned it. This was a good reminder that I don’t serve a logical God, at least not logical like I feel He should be, but I am sure blessed by Him.

From top to bottom: me; Lisa from Cannelburg, Indiana; Sarah from Williams Lake, BC; Roxy from Chilliwack, BC; Dave from St. Catherines, Ontario; and Breanne from Surey, BC... this is my team!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

not logical in the least... but good? yes.
peru peru peru!

Sara said...

Peruuuuuu! When do you leave? Oh my gosh, I'm so excited for you, Laura!