Saturday, January 19, 2008

Ikea Run!

Today we spent the afternoon at Ikea. We all fell in love with the cute dishes and the beautiful living room set-ups and the general coziness of a home. It made me so excited to have my own place to live next year. I’m so stoked to live in Tower with Jenn and the other wonderful girls who will live with us. I wonder if I’ll feel like a real adult then… when I’m renting a house.

I’m among the oldest in the Trek group and sometimes it makes for an interesting dynamic. For a lot of the girls this is the first time they’ve moved out of their parents’ home. Part of me can’t imagine this being the first step into the “real world” but at the same time this really isn’t the “real world” at all… This is such a safe and open environment. We’re constantly together: learning, eating, cleaning, working, and sometimes even sleeping. It’s really a cool way to be experiencing community; I hope this provides a good growing up and a good transition point for a lot of these girls.

2 comments:

Sara said...

I know, I freaking LOVE Ikea. I wish there was one closer to Fresno!

It really surprises me that you're one of the oldest there - it seems like a really big step to go from living in a parent's house to living in another country. I thought I was all adventurous just coming to California!

It was GREAT getting to talk to you last night. I hope you know how much you are loved and how much you are being lifted up in prayer by everyone back here!

Anonymous said...

an adult in the real world... a daunting thought, but i'm so glad you get to experiment that process in a very unconventional way.

not to say that the fabulous tower house will be conventional by any means. : )