Saturday, May 24, 2008

I Have a Dream

About a week ago we returned home to Lima after adventuring in the North of Peru. We stayed in two main cities and then worked with smaller churches in surrounding villages. We played with children, preformed our drama, shoveled sand, painted, carried bricks and prayed.

The first church that we stayed at was in the city of Trujillo. The city is about the size of Fresno and seemed fairly similar except for the mass amounts of speed bumps. We were welcomed with the normal Peruvian warmth and hospitality. This church is going through change… both positive and negative. As the North American missionaries are preparing to return to Canada, a lot has taken place to place the church entirely into the hands of the Peruvians. They have recently hired their senior pastor and the Sunday that we were there we witnessed the installation of their very first deacons, ushers, and associate pastor. They are also in the midst of building and expanding their beautiful facility. But during this building process someone broke in and stole all of their instruments. For a while they felt as though music had been taken away from them but they are plowing ahead with an acoustic guitar, tambourine, and voices.

But the part of this visit that really touched me was getting to know the pastor, Sergio. He spent our entire visit with us… everything from cleaning to hanging out at the beach. One afternoon we helped him put together bookshelves in what will soon be a seminary in his backyard. There is a beautiful three story building that will soon be an institute of higher learning. He gave us the grand tour of this empty building but as we walked from room to room I saw the light of God in his eyes. I couldn’t help but be reminded what it looks like to dream huge dreams with God. He has a vision of everything that will fill his seminary… as we were about to finish the tour I realized there was one more door that we had not entered, and I figured someone was behind it because most rooms just have doorframes and northing else. When I asked where the door lead, his eyes light up just a little bit brighter as he proceeded to tell me this was his favorite part: the prayer chapel on the room. I walked up another flight of stairs only to see a flat cement roof, but Sergio saw so much more. He described in great detail what everything would be, what it would look like and I couldn’t help but be captured in the beauty of his dream.

This was also the day that, as Sarah says, my Spanish blossomed. All of the conversations that I was having with Sergio were entirely in Spanish. Commonly I didn’t have the words that I wanted but he was patient with my need to play charades for some words and even affirmed me and said that my words were very clear and he could easily understand me. As Sergio and I talked more and more about the seminary and my own schooling, he mentioned that someday I should come back and teach. The idea of moving to another continent and teaching is something that seems beyond me… but most God dreams are.

Not to say that I’m ready and willing to completely plant myself in Peru for an extended period of time, but I’m definitely not afraid to dream. Sometimes it’s so easy to accept the status quo and forget what it looks like to dream like God dreams for us and I’m glad I got the reminder to constantly seek out dreams that seems bigger than I am.

1 comment:

Jaclyn Marina said...

:) what a wonderful blog