Friday, May 9, 2008

Culturally Unsensitive

The other day I had quite possibly my most culturally unsensitive moment. We were getting ready to get on a bus to visit the church in Sullana and when the bus driver opens the bottom luggage compartment so that people could get their stuff off a man walks up and grabs four live turkeys off the bottom of the bus... he holds two in each hand, by the feet and carries them off like it´s no big deal. I could help but laugh out loud and openly stare at this spectical... that would never happen at home. But to make matters even funnier this man then proceeded to catch a small motor taxi and shove all four wing flapping birds inside. Honestly, if my camera had been handy, I would have taken a picture. I love Peru.

4 comments:

Isaac C. said...

Thats awesome :) I wish I could have seen it myself

Sara said...

We'll know you're truly culturally adapted when you come home with turkeys in each hand...

Anonymous said...

L¶ua, thÝ Ý hilarious. (It's also hilariãu that thÝ keybo¶d, in a little internet cafe in Hanoi, makÐ me type in Russsian/awkward and I have no idea why...)

There's just something about foreign coñntÝe, public trasansforpation, and live anim¸l that makes for a good time. The other day we were riding out to the country in our bus, and we passed by the strªt famãu for selling dogs. Like dogs to eat, not to cuddle with. It was weird.

I hope you are still enjoying yourself and soaking up all the craziness that Ý Peru!

Sarah Rhoads said...

hahaha. That is amazing.
I saw Indiana Jones yesterday and he was in Peru for awhile and I thought of you.
I thought you should know.